Chicken Stew with Biscuits
We had this last week and loved it. What a great dish to share with friends on a cold, January evening. It’s similar to chicken pot pie, but different enough and definitely worth your while. Feeds a bunch, and if you do have leftovers, is plenty yummy the next day too. I made it all ahead (see recipe for the how-to) and it came out beautifully.
Chicken Stew with Biscuits
recipe adapted from Ina Garten
- Prep Time: 20 minutes.
- Cook Time: 60 minutes.
- Ready in 1 Hour, 20 Minutes.
- Makes: 8 Servings
- For the stew :
- 6 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions (1 onion)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots (4 carrots), blanched for 5 minutes
- 2-3 cups medium-diced peeled potatoes, blanched for 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- For the biscuits :
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pot, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over medium heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick. Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the heavy cream. Add the cubed chicken, carrots, potatoes and parsley. Mix well. Place the stew in a 9 x 13 oval or rectangular baking dish. Place the baking dish on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the biscuits. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. Add the half-and-half and combine on low speed. Mix in the parsley. Dump the dough out on a well-floured board and, with a rolling pin, roll out to 3/8-inch thick. Cut out twelve circles with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter or cut dough into squares, whichever shape biscuit you would like.
- Remove the stew from the oven and arrange the biscuits on top of the filling. Brush them with egg wash, and return the dish to the oven. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the biscuits are brown and the stew is bubbly.
- Note: To make in advance, refrigerate the chicken stew and biscuits separately. Bake the stew for 35 minutes, then place the biscuits on top, and bake for another 30 minutes, until done.