Coconut Pecan Granola
I’m a morning dieter. Or at least that seems to be the theme of my thinking lately. I’ll wake up and think to myself, “Okay, Vanessa. Today’s the day. We’re going to make ALL healthy food decisions and start a fast from sweets. Maybe we’ll even throw in some sit-ups and a walk if we want to be super awesome. “
And some days go better than others. I might make it to afternoon nap time, or maybe even after the kiddos go to bed at night if I’m really being strong. But then the cravings are more than I can handle. For whatever reason, most of my sweet cravings have come after baby, rather than during pregnancy this time around. I mean, for most of my life, I haven’t even liked ice cream much, and now I could eat a huge bowl of chocolate, with oreos mixed in – that’s important, every stinkin’ night. And if cookies are in the house, like these that I posted about last time, forget about it.
Grrr, you silly hormones, you.
But, mornings seem to be easy. My will is stronger then (and I’m much more preoccupied with the little birds – most days I manage nothing more than water til at least 10). And lately I’ve been liking a yogurt parfait for breakfast. I’ve made this homemade granola a few times now, and between my daughter and I, it’ll last us about a week or so, though I think it would keep up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. You could switch up the mix-ins (the pecans and coconut) for other nuts too if you’d like, and even throw in some dried fruit. Serve with vanilla yogurt and fresh fruit for a satisfying breakfast.
And please someone come remove all the cookies and ice cream from my home.
Coconut Pecan Granola
recipe adapted from Cooking Light, September 2011
- Prep Time: 15 minutes.
- Cook Time: 25 minutes.
- Ready in 40 Minutes.
- Makes: 3 Cups
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine oats, pecans and coconut in a small bowl. Combine egg whites and vanilla in a medium bowl; beat egg mixture with a mixer at medium speed until foamy. Fold oat mixture into egg white mixture.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; fold into oat mixture. Fold in maple syrup.
- Spread granola evenly on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring once. Remove granola from oven; stir to loosen from foil. Let cool then store in an airtight container.