Please forgive me for being absent lately. We’ve had oodles of fun family stuff to celebrate in the last couple weeks and I haven’t had much time for anything but my birds.
Will chocolate make it up to you?
I hope so. I’m going to try to be back more often now and I can’t wait to show you pictures of our baby bird’s first birthday party. I’ve got two recipes from it that The Phoenix thinks you’ll all love too. So stay tuned. I didn’t forget about sharing good food with you.
I’ve just been too busy cooking for 50 when I only had 20 people to feed. Anyone else ever done that before? Yeah, we’ll be eating leftovers for months. Months.
Anyways, here’s an easy, very chocolaty recipe that will please a crowd. Who doesn’t love gooey chocolate cake with melting vanilla ice cream on top? Yum.
recipe from Tasty Kitchen
- Prep Time: 15 minutes.
- Cook Time: 40 minutes.
- Ready in 55 Minutes.
- Makes: 10 Servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cocoa powder, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/2 cups hot tap water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- First stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, 3 tablespoons of the cocoa and 3/4 cup of the white sugar. Reserve the remaining cocoa and sugar.
- Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into an ungreased 8-inch baking dish.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the remaining white sugar (it should be 1/2 cup), the brown sugar and remaining 4 tablespoons of cocoa. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the batter.
- Pour the hot tap water over all. DO NOT STIR!
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the center is set.
- Let stand for a few minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream using the gooey sauce to spoon over all. Delicious!